Borromeo Seminary

Borromeo Seminary, the college seminary in the Catholic Diocese of Cleveland, is a formative community in which a student may discern the call to diocesan priesthood or religious life through the integration of spiritual, academic, apostolic, personal and communal experiences.

The Borromeo Scholarship offers our college seminary some of the funds needed to attend John Carroll University while residing at Borromeo Seminary.

Click to go to the Borromeo Seminary website

History of Borromeo Seminary College

September 1952

Diocese obtains buildings and property of the former Marycrest School in Wickliffe.

July 16, 1953

Fr. John F. Whealon, Parochial Vicar of St. Aloysius Church in Cleveland is appointed rector of Borromeo Seminary.

September 1953

Borromeo Seminary High School opens with eighty students and covers the first three years of high school.

September 1954

Fourth year of high school added and College program begins. Borromeo Seminary High School is approved by the Ohio State Department of Education.

March 1957

Borromeo Seminary College is chartered under the laws of the State of ohio and authorized by the State Board of Education to give the Bachelor of Philosophy degree.

April 1958

Borromeo Seminary College is authorized to grant Bachelor of Arts degree.

September 1962

Borromeo reaches its height in enrollment with five hundred students enrolled - 280 in high school and 220 in college.

March 1963

Borromeo Seminary College is accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools.

June 1976

Borromeo Seminary High School closes.

Fall 1990

Borromeo begins sending students to John Carroll University for majority of classes.

September 1991

Borromeo Seminary joins with Saint Mary Seminary, the Diaconate Program, the Pastoral Ministry Program and later the Office for Continuing Education and Formation of Priests and Ministers to form the Center of Pastoral Leadership in Wickliffe.

Summer 1996

Fr. James Caddy, the 6th President - Rector completed 14 years as Rector of Borromeo Seminary. At the time of his being named pastor of St. Francis of Assisi Parish in Gates Mills, he was the longest standing rector of Borromeo Seminary.

Fr. Thomas M. Dragga was named the 7th President-Rector of Borromeo Seminary in 1996.

November 2003-2004

Borromeo Seminary celebrated it's 50th anniversary in 2003 beginning with a year long celebration on the Feast of St. Charles Borromeo on November 4th, 2003. The celebration culminated on November 4th 2004 with the renaming of the High School Dining room as the Founders Room after the 7 founding fathers of Borromeo Seminary and one of the Courtyards named the Pilla Piazza after Bishop Anthony M. Pilla, Ninth Bishop of Cleveland and a member of the 1st graduating class of Borromeo Seminary.

Fall 2007

Enrollment at Borromeo steadily increases to its highest enrollment since the 1980's.